Janet Holmes is Emeritus Professor in Linguistics at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand and a Fellow of the Royal Society of New Zealand.
Nick Wilson is Lecturer in Linguistics at Macquarie University, Australia.
The Online Companion
1. What do sociolinguists study?
Section I: Multilingual Speech Communities
2. Language choice in multilingual communities
3. Language maintenance and shift
4. Linguistic varieties and multilingual nations
5. National languages and language planning
Section II: Language Variation: Focus on Users
6. Regional and social dialects
7. Gender and age
8. Ethnicity and social networks
9. Language change
Interlude: identity in sociolinguistics
Section III: Language Variation: Focus on Uses
10. Style, context and register
11. Speech functions, politeness and cross-cultural communication
12. Gender, politeness and stereotypes
13. Language, cognition and culture
14. Analysing Discourse
15. Attitudes and applications
Appendix: phonetic symbols
Sociolinguistics: key words and concepts